Call Center Crypto Fraud : Bulgarian Businessman Loses $550,000. Cryptocurrency investments have always been a tempting proposition for people looking to grow their wealth. However, not all opportunities in this space are genuine, and investors must exercise caution. In this Crypto News Update, a recent case in Bulgaria where a businessman lost over a million leva (more than $550,000) to scammers who promised high yields from crypto assets.
Call Center Crypto Fraud
How the Scam Happened
The businessman was initially approached by a fake consultant from a call center that promised high returns on crypto investments. The call center was most likely located in the Middle East, and the victim’s details, including his name and phone number, were acquired from a platform that he signed up to. The fraudsters convinced the investor to make a small deposit of €250, which multiplied several times in a few weeks in virtual assets.
The communication went on for a while, and the victim was transferred to an encrypted chat where he was set up with an online account. The businessman then sent tens of thousands of euros to Polish, British, and Chinese banks, as advised by the scammers.
Part of a Wider Criminal Trend
This type of scam is part of a recent criminal trend in Europe that involves using call centers to entice unsuspecting victims with fake opportunities to invest in shares of famous global companies or cryptocurrencies. In January, authorities from Bulgaria, Serbia, Cyprus, and Germany, working with Europol and Eurojust, took down a network of call centers that “lured victims into investing large amounts of money into fake cryptocurrency schemes.”
Protect Yourself from Investment Frauds
Investment frauds can be devastating, and it is crucial to protect yourself from such scams. Here are some tips to help you avoid falling victim to investment frauds:
- Do Your Research: Before investing in any opportunity, make sure to thoroughly research the company, the investment, and the person offering the investment.
- Verify the Source: If someone contacts you out of the blue with a supposed investment opportunity, be wary. Verify the source and check if they are registered with the relevant financial regulator.
- Don’t Rush: Investment fraudsters often use pressure tactics to get people to invest quickly. Don’t rush into an investment, take your time to make an informed decision.
- Avoid Promises of High Returns: If an investment opportunity promises high returns, be cautious. High returns often come with high risks.
- Seek Professional Advice: If you’re unsure about an investment opportunity, seek professional advice from a financial advisor or a lawyer.
Crypto Scammers in Bulgaria wrecked havoc on the unsuspecting businessman, he is one of the plenty who have lost their hard earned money to crypto scammers across the globe. Call center scam is one form of many scam tactics employed by these evil players whose only aim is to make you path with your coins.
The recent case of the Bulgarian businessman who lost over a million leva to crypto scammers is a reminder of the dangers of investment frauds. Be cautious and protect yourself from such scams by doing your research, verifying the source, avoiding promises of high returns, and seeking professional advice.